02 February 2007

Jungle Walking in Mont'Kiara

Today I spent nearly 3 hours walking through the jungle and I climbed nearly 1200 feet. I walked fast today, fast for jungle trekking that is. But usually I stop at places discovered along the trails to marvel at the beauty of the jungle; the slow moving streams, bamboo groves jutting out of the ground like thick green pipes, rock outcroppings offering comfortable places to sit, wildflowers of every imaginable color, and wildlife (some best seen from a distance). I smelled the new emerging vegetation and the old dead leaves and tree trunks forming carpets along the jungle floor. The pungent odor of latex oozing out of the rubber trees also filled the air in the pockets of old, abandoned rubber estates that I passed through. I saw birds that were bright yellow, birds with long string-like tails, and hornbills. Soaring high above the treetops was an eagle. There were, as usual, scores of monkeys and a couple of cobras. Beehives buzzed in some of the trees and I was careful to gingerly step around them. And the wind whispered and moaned on the hilltops. For nearly 3 hours I walked alone. I didn't see another soul… and I’m glad I didn’t.

I sometimes find things on my walk that I shove in my pocket or pouch to bring home and share with my daughter; unusual seed pods, bugs, interesting flowers. On one walk, I stepped on a small black and white snake. It had a bright red head. I thought it was dead so was getting ready to put it in my pouch to bring home. That snake all of a sudden shot out and slithered in the undergrowth. Curious about it, I came home and did some research. It was called a Malaysian Krait and is more deadly than a cobra. A bite from this snake usually means death. Now I just focus on flowers, leaves and rocks and leave the snakes alone.

We live on a beautiful planet.

Everyone should take a moment to smell the fresh air and look around at the marvels of nature. Take a moment to enjoy living. Stress is self-imposed. Walk away from it for a while and be thankful for the many blessings we sometimes take for granted.

Put on some comfortable shoes and really see the world. It is a beautiful place. And let's all do our part to ensure that we keep it that way for future generations. I know my daughter would appreciate it if we did.

Have a great day and spend a short time being thankful.

Brian

To see pictures of my jungle walk check out the March 2005 archive (http://onefootforwardrepeat.blogspot.com/2005_03_01_archive.html)

No comments: